WE’VE GOT YOUR SIX
We are pleased that you have stopped by to view the next CopBlue video article. These are published regularly and address a variety of issues which are important to American Street Cops.
Charles Bailey of Darlington, SC has the title in his agency of Assistant Fire Chief. More importantly, he has earned the title of LEADER which is very hard to do these days.
Charlie has been a ‘hose-dragger’ for 33 years. He has been there for so long that he has his own, monogrammed La-Z-Boy for watching TV with his crew.
All seriousness aside, Charlie and Danny talked about the gut-wrenching, mind-warping calls they have experienced over the course of their careers. Just as it is for cops, calls involving children are the ones that leave a first-responder needing to puke.
Think of going to a car crash scene where a two-year old is ejected from the vehicle which then rolls over and crushes the kid. Or, think of going into a home where a young child’s head has been caved-in by an adult who beat him to death with a hammer.
A fire fighter and cop might be standing near their vehicles, puking into the grass after dealing with such a scene. But, how do they clear their heads?
Too often, the answer is: they don’t.
Fire fighters too often carry those things around and they build on one another until one day, they explode in the form of an overdose, a divorce or a suicide.
Charlie stresses the need to de-compress. Fact is, he spends much of his work day tending to the guys on his crew – giving them an ear when it’s needed.
How does Charlie relieve his own pressure? He fishes. Boy, does he fish! He does it competitively and he wins contests and awards! Most important to Charlie is that fishing gives him a mental outlet.
Charlie shares this important thought: “For a fireman, an EMT or a cop, the lack of having a healthy mental outlet leads them to doing stupid things.”
It’s sad indeed when one of those stupid things ends at the cemetery.
I now invite you to listen to a few words from a real leader who is guaranteed to make you smile.
“Above all, it’s about going home at the end of the shift … “
We couldn’t agree more.
Jim enjoys hearing from his readers – EMAIL
Thank you for allowing us to share this article with you.
Cartoon is the courtesy of Steve Burnett of
Please LIKE, SHARE and leave a comment about this article below.
Our editor can be contacted with any questions or input here – EMAIL
To our BROTHERS and SISTERS in BLUE: We have now arrived at the time in the ELECTION SEASON when each of us MUST pay close attention to what candidates are saying. Every person we elect in November can affect our lives as cops. Will we THRIVE, just get by or will we DIE?
- Consider the disaster created in New York by Mayor Bill DiBlasio.
- Look at the number of cops who have been critically injured by the Portland District Attorney, Mike Schmidt.
- We cannot ignore how cops have been blamed for the problems in places like Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, Baltimore and other cities where civilization has damned near crumbled.
- Don’t think that school boards are immune. Last Saturday, Steven Lysenko of Spencerport High School, went on a tirade against police officers for targeting protesters in Rochester by yelling, “Fuck the Police!”
- Last, but most important, is the top job: the Presidency. Electing Joe Biden would have a horribly deep, permanent and (in some cases) fatal effect on every cop in the nation.
EVERY ONE OF US MUST PAY ATTENTION AND GET INVOLVED.
OUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT.
Thank you for supporting CopBlue.